Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Friday, October 19, 2007

Bangity, Bangity, Bangity

I left work a little early today and went to the range. I had two excuses: First, I had bought three more Chip McCormick 8-round magazines for my .45 and I needed to try them out. They fed fine and dropped free when empty. Second, I wanted to "unload through the muzzle" the self-defense ammo I had for my 9mm and replace it with fresh stuff.

I tried working on speed drills at 25', getting two quicker shots off into the center-of-mass and then one more for the head. Again, these are not full-sized silhouettes.

This was the .45:

Two clean misses, four grazes.

And the 9mm:


I was really trying for speed and touching off the shots when the sights looked close enough for gummint work, which is probably why I got a lot of vertical stringing. Three, maybe four clean misses and a couple grazes.

I do need to work on my speed drills, but man, that gets expensive fast.

Anyway, I come to report on trying out something called "Copper Cutter" from Slip 2000. It is a non-toxic gun cleaner that seems to be ammonia-based and doesn't stink up the place like Hoppes No. 9. Someone recommended it in a comment here when I was moaning about the stink of Hoppes and about having to wear a VOC-filtering respirator when using it. I ordered three bottles of the stuff over the Internets and tonight was the try-out.

It does seem to work very well. After 55 rounds through the .45, it took three patches saturated with Copper Cutter to clean the bore. And afterwards, the guns don't reek of cleaner.

p.s.; any resemblance between the targets and a penguin is purely a figment of your imagination, badtux.

2 comments:

Justin Buist said...

Someone recommended it in a comment here when I was moaning about the stink of Hoppes

That'd have been me. Glad to hear that it's working out for you!

I've never actually used the copper cutter stuff, just the plain 'ole Slip 2000 cleaner/lubricant. Not sure what the exact label is.

Comrade Misfit said...

Thanks for the tip, Justin. I'm going to junk the two bottles of Hoppes I have.