Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Kodachrome

Kodak is discontinuing Kodachrome. It has been in production for over 70 years. Digital killed it, for the main market was to professionals and they almost all shifted to digital early on.

I was sort of serious about photography in my teens and early 20s. Kodachrome was what the pros and serious amateurs shot, even though it was the one film that could not be developed at home (you could develop black & white and Ektachrome). It really did the best job in rendering colors. It came in ASA 25 and 64; if you wanted to take photos of moving objects, you learned how to pan and to follow through. I probably shot well over a thousand slides of it (and I still have most of them).

I haven't used any in decades, though, so while I won't miss Kodachrome, its discontinuance makes me feel like a bit of a dinosaur.

2 comments:

Marc said...

Just another item to the list of things you can date yourself with - like glass soda bottles, green stamps, and only four channels to pick from on TV (ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS)

Jim said...

Another great thing about it, I was digitizing some 50 year old slides. The Kodachrome slides were perfect, color, brightness. The Ektachrome slides had faded and washed out. Both stored in the same box. So if you have Ektachrome slides (I've got a bunch as I developed them myself, poor student then...) digitize them now before they fade.