Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Friday, May 14, 2010

... And All Sorts of Ugliness Ensued

I clicked on what seemed to be an innocuous e-mail today to unsubscribe from it. It took me to a site that clearly wasn't what I expected.

I immediately yanked the power cord right out of the back of my computer. I disconnected it from the network, booted to safe mode, started the AV program and set it for a boot-scan. Rebooted and something like 90 minutes later, it finished (found a couple of worms). Ran Malware Bytes and it came up clean.

So I rebooted again and reconnected to the network.

The ugliness was because I had a database on the office server open when I yanked the cord out. That did bad things to the database, which took a little time to fix and which pissed off all of the other users. All sorts of ugliness was prevented only by the fact that I am, at heart, a very lovable person.[1]

[1] And heavily armed.

2 comments:

Dr. Bubbles said...

If you have installation rights on your machine, you could use Sandboxie (www.sandboxie.com). I use it at home with minimal inconvenience (the main one is that, with the free version, after 30 days it waits 6 seconds before opening apps in the sandbox).

Comrade Misfit said...

Thanks for the suggestion, I am trying it out now.