Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Monday, July 26, 2010

Well, That Put a Smile on My Face This Morning

I picked up my vacation mail today. In there was a mailer from the Brady Campaign.

I don't know what it cost them to send that to me, between the cost of postage and paper and the envelope. Obviously they get junk mail rates, as if there is anything that would qualify as "junk mail", it would be anything from those folks.

But whatever it cost them, I took distinct pleasure in ripping it up and tossing it into the recycling bin.

9 comments:

Mule Breath said...

Did it contain a postage paid return envelope? Not certain they still do that, but when they did I would shred the mailing, place it in the envelope and drop it in the mailbox.

BobG said...

I knew a guy who used to keep all the postage paid return envelopes, then would load them with as much junk mail from other companies as he could fit in and send them back.

Comrade Misfit said...

I wish I had thought to look for a reply envelope.

Next time (if they send me another one).tusnol

deadstick said...

Maybe you could tape the reply envelope to an old engine block...

Big Sweetie said...

I'm more inclined to shred something from the NRA or Gun Owners of America. Single issue lunatic groups that want to block reasonable gun control rules (the gun show issue comes to mind).

The NRA used to be an organization for firearm aficionados and sportsmen. No longer. Your should see the headquarters they've pissed away your dues on up in Fairfax, VA.

Now it's all politics and money.

Comrade Misfit said...

I used to be in favor of trying to compromise on gun control. Then I realized that the NRA was correct in their stance that the gun control side was really a gun-banning side, that first a little gun control now, then a little more later and a little more later.

So now I'm in favor of repealing the National Firearms Act of 1934. I see no reason why I need to wear double-hearing protection on a range when I could use a suppressor. I see no reason why that, if I have to defend myself in my home, I have to give up part of my hearing.

Big Sweetie said...

Dear Ms. or Mr. Fit:

What is your gender, btw? I presume that you're ex-FAA... were you a center or tower/tracon person? Regardless, I enjoy your blog... and this despite the fact that I'm still not convinced that flying is here to stay. :o)

Like you, I think that suppressors should be legal... I understand that in many parts of Europe they are perfectly legal, but most of those countries don't allow just any Tom, Dick, or EBMisfit to buy a firearm. My thinking is that long guns should be generally free of regulation. Handguns should be regulated no less than automobiles. You've got to pass a test and get a license. Hell, I've seen customers in gunshops who couldn't load even a revolver and had to ask for help... not to mention "what sort of ammunition should I buy?"

You want a handgun, take a class.

And, btw, no one "needs" an automatic weapon or a grenade. Also covered by the NFA.

Mule Breath said...

Well Sweetie, I'm not convinced that the "needs" argument should bear any weight on the control issue.

Perhaps you're correct... that I have no need for an auto... but why should my lack of need grant my government (or my neighbors) the right to tell me that I cannot "have"?

I live in a region of the country where freezing temperatures are a rarity, and snow even more rare. I have no need for a snowmobile. Should the Texas Legislature therefore pass laws prohibiting snowmobiles?

The control issue should be focused on criminals, and if I have my weapons available I am much more likely to be able to exercise that control when the need arises and law enforcement is in the donut shop.

Comrade Misfit said...

Big Sweetie, not FAA, past or present. Gender, well, there's a strong hint in the description under the main title.

I'll concede on grenades, maybe. I agree with Mule Breath; it's not the government's job to decide what I "need".

I'm against licensing and registration. For weapons, those have been used as tools for both political control ("can't let those people have guns") and confiscation.

What I want is to see those who use weapons to commit a crime hammered, hard. Criminals don't obey gun laws; if they did, Mexico would be a very peaceful place. And so would Chicago.