Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Crap, I Need More Gun Gear

I bought a $100 Mosin a couple of years ago. I had two already, but as I went through the rack in the gunshop, I could see that it was a former sniper rifle. The bore was nice and the trigger felt fine, so I bought it.

Turns out that it is an ex-PEM model.


I took it to the county range over the weekend. Bad mistake, the 100 yard benches were full up. 200 yard spots were open, so I took one. Second mistake: All I had for spotting was a pair of 10x binoculars and they were not up to the task of spotting .3" holes in paper at 200 yards.

The good news is that a nice gent let me look into his spotting scope and the rifle shot about a 4" group, which is pretty sweet for open sights at that distance. The bad news is that it shot way high and way to the right, about 1/2 of the way between the outer edge of the black bull and the top right corner of the target.

Re-snipering it is not in the cards these days. Reproductions of the scope itself are over $300. Reproduction mounts, when I have seen them offered, are also over $300. And then it all has to be put together by someone who knows what they are doing, and by then the cost is over an AMU ("aircraft maintenance unit", aka a grand).

That's not going to happen anytime soon. Pushing the sight over and installing a higher post, that's doable.

No comments: