Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Kodachrome, 1935-2010, RIP

The last photo lab in the world which processed Kodachrome film shut down its processing machine today.

Until digital came about, if you were a professional photographer (or a serious amateur) and you wanted to shoot color photos, you probably used Kodachrome.

I got less serious about photography in the early `80s and shifted from Kodachrome to Kodacolor, as it was convenient not to have to dig out the slide projector to show photos.

Everything I learned about photography, I learned by shooting Kodachrome. It was expensive stuff for a teenager and I quickly learned to make sure that all of the conditions were right before I pressed the shutter release. (When I had an SX-70, that was also expensive and I took care with each exposure.) Motor drives and shooting a shit-ton of film was left to either very rich people or pros who had someone else paying for the film and the processing.

I understand why Kodachrome died. I haven't pushed the shutter button on a film camera in six years. But still, the death of Kodachrome for me is like hearing of the death of a friend from long ago.

4 comments:

Phil said...

We are getting old honey.Buggy whips and all that shit.

Much love to you and Happy New year.

Sarah said...

All things must pass.. Happy New Year all, hope 2011 treats us all better.

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world’s a sunny day... -- Paul Simon

Last frames

Nangleator said...

As a 3D artist, I expend a lot of effort in making my renders look like photographs. This requires degrading the original render, and adding in imperfections of lens, camera and film.

It makes me sad to think I'll be trying to duplicate a dead medium.

A good thing we'll miss from the days of film is the attention people pay before, as you say, they expose the film. Take a look at pingwire dot com to see the kind of dreck people call photographs these days.

Eck! said...

Same here. I've done the shoot rolls of film (Even Kodachrome, Ektachrome
and the black and white friends) so I can get THE SHOT. I've also taken time to compose a shot. Old habits as I use digital media now and show three kinds of shots..

It looks like this tech shots for detail.

Heres a picture, aka brownie snapshot.

then those pictures I compose and play with light and zoom to get effect or a specific quality of picture.

Yes digital film is cheap and erase is wonderful but getting it right still takes some skill and understanding. Those that have shot
film for years even brownie shots understand this.

Eck!