Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What to Build...

So I'm starting to think about what is going to be the next firearm.

Frankly, I don't need another pistol.

I'm not much into shotguns. I have a Mossberg 500 12-gauge and a Ithaca (imported from Japan) 20-ga over/under that my father bought close to 30 years ago and which came to me when he passed away. I haven't shot either in a very long time.

So it would be a rifle. Probably a .30-06, since I have a couple others in that caliber.  A long time ago, I built up this rifle from a long Mauser action; it has a mil-surp barrel and an old Weaver K-4 scope, back from the days when Weaver made them in this country.


So what I'm thinking of doing is either replicating that, except this time I'd install receiver sights or try to find a good price on a Savage 111 and have the sights installed or haunt the gun shops for a used rifle.

No pings yet on the job hunt, other than from scam artists. "You can work from home for three hours a day and make $3K a month!" Then there are the ones "become a certified financial planner!"-- think of Amway, except with money, not soap. Or "you can sell insurance"-- wherein I would try to persuade some sap to buy something where, if I were in the sap's shoes, I'd be slamming the door and going for one of the aforementioned shotguns.

Thing is, as much as I have bitched before about it, I do like being a lawyer. Sometime the pay was kind of sucky, probably because if I even had the chance to work at a big white-shoe firm, I'd end up throwing a cup of coffee in a partner's face inside of a month. What I like about it is that from time to time, I got a chance to help someone who really needed it.

Anyway, if and when I do get back to work, I am going to miss my bread. It take close to 3.5 hours from start to finish to make a loaf (or two) and a loaf lasts me almost five days.

I have a chair right by the window. I got up to take the loaf of bread dough from the second rising and put it into the oven. George hopped up into my seat and promptly fell asleep. I don't feel the need to disturb him. Jake is sleeping on the ottoman that matches the chair and he is snoring up a storm. Gracie is in the kitchen eating some kibble. Yesterday morning, when the Sun was shining, Jake and George were playing a mean game of "King of the Hill" to determine who would get to lie on the back of the chair (and in the sunbeam), with lots of hissing and bapping. Both ended up having some time there.

I suppose I ought to go to one of the newspapers' web sites and see what fresh hell is out there and blog about that. But the snow is falling, I have books to read, stuff taped from the idjit box, a daily Russian lesson to do and the bread just came out of the oven.


Later.

8 comments:

Bridget Magnus said...

Well, this seemed like a good deal to me. Except for the fact that once you strap the bayonet on it, it's as long as I am tall.

Well heck, I suppose it's better than the sledgehammer that is my current home defense weapon. Seriously, who's stupid enough to mess with a 4'11" woman with a sledgehammer?

Comrade Misfit said...

Ah, um, I have a couple of them already.... :)

BadTux said...

Dayum, that bread smells good even over the Intertubes :).

- Badtux the Salivating Penguin

Bridget Magnus said...

Heh, didn't know what was already in your arsenal... I mean collection!

BadTux said...

Oh, she's talked about her Russian sniper rifles plenty, Bridget. You must be new here on this blog :).

$90 is one heck of a price for a rifle, even if it's probably a worn-out POS that's been used hard and stored rough. But I can't justify one either. I need a handgun, not a long gun, I already have all the long guns I need since I'm not a hunter or a marksman (those beady little penguin eyes aren't so good for sharpshooting).

- Badtux the Well-armed Penguin

Comrade Misfit said...

BadTux, the bread is good.

One thing about the Mosins: The sights are aligned for when the bayonet is mounted, for Russian and then Red Army doctrine had the bayonet mounted at all times. Of course, that meant the rifle was unwieldy for most uses in combat, but brass in every army never seem to care about reality in the trenches.

If the bayonet is not on, Mosins tend to shoot high and to the right. So you need to make the sight post on the front sight higher and push it to the right. If you do that, it's a decent field rifle.

But I want something with receiver (peep) sights and I'm eager to "bubbify" an old military rifle, so the search goes on.

Zdogk9 said...

Without too much effort you should be able to pick up a used savage for $200+-. For another $35. you can get a set of Williams sights that it the holes in the receiver. For about $60. and whatever your gunsmith charges you can get the Williams FP sight mounted up.

Comrade Misfit said...

Zdog, that is an excellent idea.

Thanks!