Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Monday, January 10, 2011

Yuck.

I was making bread dough and got interrupted by a phone call. As a result, I doubled up on the salt, or more.

The bread didn't rise right and I can taste the salt. Yuck.

More landfill food. I won't even throw this out for the birds.

UPDATE: I made another loaf. Everything was fine until I knocked the readout end of my remote cooking thermometer into the oven. The plastic housing caught fire. I switched off the oven and threw baking soda over the thermometer.

Front of the unit:


Back side:

It still works.  I turned the oven back on and put the loaf pan of now slightly-over-risen bread into the oven.

So now my apartment smells like a mixture of baking bread and burnt plastic.

UPDATE: The bread came out fine.

Yuck.

3 comments:

squatlo said...

EB, I don't know how this would work on a bread dough problem, but I've used it on soups and chili before with success. You can toss in a peeled potato into a mixture that has been over-salted and it will absorb the salt. Leave it in for a while, then dip it out, and most of the salt content goes out with it.
Not sure how you would do that with bread dough, unless you rolled the spud around while you kneaded the dough... and hope no one sees what you're doing, 'cause I'll deny any knowledge of this...

Comrade Misfit said...

I don't know if that'd work, but I wasn't sure that I had added too much salt until I tasted the loaf.

I knew something wasn't right, it didn't rise properly.

Trying again now, the yeast is proofing.

Eck! said...

Better use for the spud, boil or bake it
and mash it up good add to the dough for a variant of portuguese potato bread. Yum!

Likely you can find a more detailed brew for that.

Eck!