Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Drool.... But I Can Resist

I swung by my local gunshop the other day. The owner was in and he handed me one of these:


A Wilson Combat CQB. They start at $2,575. The one I held was nearly $3,000. It looked kind of like it had a Commander-length slide on an Officer's Model frame. The owner told me that Bill Wilson thinks that the only proper barrel length on a 1911 is 5", but customer demand persuaded him to put a 4" barrel on this weapon. It was kind of weird to hold a carry pistol that makes a H&K 45C look cheap by comparison. This particular weapon had a steel frame, it was not appreciably lighter than a government model. The trigger was nice, maybe 3lbs or so.

But... is it worth that kind of money? The customer who ordered it apparently thought so. It is a concealed carry piece, make no mistake about that, and one thing that you want if you are carrying a self-defense weapon is the absolute assurance that it will work. 1911s are very much a "buyer beware" gun.

Update: The S&W Compact ES looks nice, too, but I dislike silver guns for concealed carry. I prefer black or blue guns, they aren't as noticeable.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love 1911s, but I would not spend that much for a concealed carry gun. I bought my mother an ugly-ass Glock 36-a compact, black polymer frame for 1/6th of the Wilson. At that rate, if she (God Forbid) needs to use it, she can replace it without too much pain. Also, her defense piece is less likely to be coveted by some cop and get "lost" from the evidence locker.

It also bothers me that I have bought cars that cost less than that hogleg.

Spud said...

I'll take my SIG 220
for throw away my SIG 250
for pocket my SIG 238
Needless to say I like SIGs

PhysioProf said...

That's a beaut! Why is the trigger drilled out with three holes?

Comrade Misfit said...

William, I don't care for Glocks.

Spud, why not get a chap=ass Lorcin for a throw-down?

PP, the holes lighten the mass of the trigger, which supposedly makes it more responsive.

Stewart Dean said...

Pardon me, Dear Misfit, but I really have to recount Ann Richards' comment against a blanket concealed carry for women:
"Honey, there isn't a woman in Texas that could find a gun in her purse in less than 5 minutes...."
(said in a drawl).
Me I got a permit from the family court judge for my concealed carry of a couple of very nice beautifully set up 1911 that an eagle-eyed old-time country smith built for me...one a mudder, one a (relatively speaking) target piece.

Comrade Misfit said...

For my earlier comment, read "cheap-ass".

With respect to Ann Richards, may blessing and peace be upon her, she was wrong. Anyone who seriously cares about carrying knows that purse carry is probably the most undesirable way to carry a weapon.

Eck! said...

I'd agree, the purse is logistics support for spare mags and tactical support materials and comms.


Eck!

ItBitKitty said...

Sorry, still love my Rugers. I have a nine mil and a 38 revolver. LOVE IT!