Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Bangity

I've been going shooting recently with a friend who has just gotten into handgunning. She is in the senior cohort of the baby-boomers and she never was terribly interested in guns. But she went shooting and got her permit. She has found that it is very relaxing to go to the range and shoot off a box of cartridges.

So it came time for her to decide on a first gun. Like a number of women I know, she doesn't care for automatics. The main issue is drawing back the slide, which can be a problem. Hand size is also an issue, as is weight. She didn't want a revolver that was too heavy, for they become tiring to hold. I recommended that she not get one that was too light, for recoil is fatiguing over a range session. She wanted a revolver that she could use for target shooting as well as personal protection. Which kind of meant a good old .38 or .357. Another issue was how hard it was to cock the hammer for single-action shooting and pull through the trigger for double-action shooting. The salesman at Hoffman's was very patient with her, never condescending and he showed her just about every .38 and .357 they had in the smaller sizes.

What she chose was a 3" Smith & Wesson Model 60.


We went to the range this week and sighted it in, which was easy as, right out of the box, it shot to point of aim at 21' with Winchester white box .38s. She thought it was easy to shoot and that the gun wasn't as snappy as my 2" revolver.

She's pretty pleased. I'd like to see her get some more training, as I think she could become an excellent shot.

The other things is that in going shooting with her every couple of weeks, I've seen my own accuracy noticeably improve. There's a lesson there for me, somewhere.

7 comments:

Nangleator said...

Teaching is a hell of a way to learn, especially if you take it seriously.

montag said...

You embrace the Big Bang Theory. I found that the .22 caliber was just as relaxing. Popping off a box through the Ruger Automatic was just as satisfying as shooting with a Desert Eagle and a whole lot cheaper if money matters. And the skill is the same regardless of the bore.

Comrade Misfit said...

.22 is good for targets. For personal protection, not so much.

Phil said...

Holy cow that thing must be deafening.
My .22 with a two inch barrel makes my ears ring every time.
Something in the caliber you are talking about with a two, even three inch barrel would wake the dead!

Comrade Misfit said...

Busted, we wear double hearing protection on the range (ear plugs and ear muffs).

w3ski said...

Nothing like the way a hot .44 mag handload round will shake my whole body and I can even feel the blast on my face.
Tiring yes, but wake the dead, you got that right.It never takes more than a cylinder full to empty a range and leave me all alone to shoot quieter stuff.
w3ski

Comrade Misfit said...

I saw a guy on an indoor range once firing full-charge ammo from a .44 magnum with a short barrel. Thing had a muzzle flash like a natural gas flare and, although I was about four stations away, I could feel my clothes rippling from the muzzle blast.

Everyone else stopped shooting.