Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Caturday

Jake hears a bird outside, but he is not motivated enough to go to the window to look:


I had to keep him away from yesterday's home project: Regreasing my Kitchen Aid mixer.


In the directions that I downloaded, the guy uses wheel-bearing grease. That is a bad idea. If any of the grease liquefies and drips out into your food, it'd be like adding a few drops of machinery oil to your food. If you use food-grade, you won't contaminate your food if that happens.

Something else, if you do it yourself, see the big gear on the right that has a shaft?


That gear does two things: It drives the accessory drive on the front and the shaft is what drives the rotating parts of the mixer. When apart, the gear slides up and down on the drive shaft. The drive shaft has a cross-pin that fits into a channel on the top of the gear:


The top of the drive shaft rotates inside a housing at the top of the mixer itself. If that pin is not inside the channel when you try to put the mixer back together, it won't fit. Of course, at that point, you can't really see the pin because the gear and shaft have fresh grease on them.

I won't tell you how long it took me to figure that out.* It came to light when I was wondering if maybe the sacrificial gear (it breaks if the thing freezes up) in the gear tower wasn't meshing with the worm gear on the motor. So I put an allen key through the pin hole at the bottom of the shaft and tried to turn things, but the shaft moved and the gears didn't. That's when the 4-watt light bulb glowed and I wondered how torque got transmitted if the shaft could move independent of the gear train.
____________________________
* Long enough that throwing the entire mess into the garbage can was up for consideration.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

That is one lazy cat...LOL And glad you got the mixer back together! It's ALWAYS the little things that aren't in the instructions that trips one up!

w3ski said...

I 'love' my stand mixer too. Never thought about maintenance. How often are you supposed to lube the thing?
w3ski

Comrade Misfit said...

w3ski, I don't know. One idea I heard about is to lay a bunch of newspapers on a flat service, then lay the mixer on its side. If a lot of oil runs out, then the grease is/has broken down. If just a little runs out, you're probably OK.

The job is about $50 at a KA service center. But if you don't live near one, figure on at least another $60 for shipping both ways.

I got food-grade grease from a local kitchen store. If I were do do it over, I'd probably order a stick/can of the Shell Darina R2 grease that KA uses.

BadTux said...

I just had one of those cushions delivered to my home. My kittehs are just as reluctant to get off of it as your poor old man.