Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Friday, July 26, 2013

Addition; Bangity Edition

This just came into my hands:


You probably recognize it as a Winchester Model 1894.

This one is probably of 1990s vintage. It has a cross-bolt safety, which the purists absolutely despise.*

It also is topped with a Tasco four-power scope. I've not heard anything good from anyone about Tascos. Back in the day, a hunting buddy of mine had a 3-9X Tasco on a rifle and that thing would not hold a zero if he cycled the magnification back and forth (he got a 4x Weaver).

Besides the Tasco itself, putting a scope on a nice handy carbine seems to defeat the purpose of having a nice handy carbine. When I get around to it, I might put a receiver sight on it.

But first, I'll have to take it out to the range one of these days.
___________________________________________
* It also has a hammer extension, which would seem to be useful only if one were wearing astronaut's gloves.

10 comments:

Eck! said...

Sweet, .30-30 I presume?

Used to shoot a loaner back when
and loved it in 30-30.

Still looks odd to me when I see one with a scope though.

Eck!

Comrade Misfit said...

Indeed: .30-30

I'll have to get two set screws to plug up the holes for the front mount. I presume that the correct receiver sight will come with its own mounting screws.

w3ski said...

I have had my Marlin Lever .22 for years. I put a 2 x 7 Leopold on it to drive tacks and it does. The scope on mine is so low with the flat topped receiver that you need a hammer spur.
I also have a Marlin .357 lever that is open sights. Doesn't seem to need more.
Never cared for 30.30 personally, too much recoil and not enough accuracy, but have fun. The do burn powder!
w3ski

dinthebeast said...

My dad has a model '94 .32 special that I like a lot, but as it ejects out the top, I didn't know you could mount a scope on one. He's had it since before I was born, so it might be different on newer ones.

-Doug in Oakland

BadTux said...

Tasco scopes have always been junk, but for the purposes of this rifle it's probably good enough for the original owner's purposes. He was trying to get deer at a range a bit beyond what he was comfortable with using open sights for, but not far enough to need a bigger deer rifle with a better scope. You have to admit that a .30-30 carbine-size lever gun is way easier to haul around than a .30-06 bolt-action rifle, especially if he's hauling it through woods. He wasn't shooting anything beyond 100 yards with this rifle, so (shrug).

Comrade Misfit said...

w3ski, the price for this one was really favorable.

Doug, Winchester changed the design a little in the early `80s so that the cartridges were ejected at an angle to permit mounting scopes. This one is technically a "94AE". Your dad's carbine probably predates that.

Badtux, I know where the guy who put the scope on hunted (two owners of this carbine back). I used to live there. I'd have gone for a "ghost ring" receiver sight, personally.

One Fly said...

In the early 80's bought two 3x9 Tasco scopes. Both went on 243's and sighted in at 300 yards. Hundreds and hundreds of rounds have been fired and they have always remained dead on all this time.

They were on sale for 10 smacks at Target. They performed amazingly well but I knew at the time and now of Tasco's reputation. Figured for 10 bucks it was worth a try.

hans said...

had a Marlin 30-30 and .22 and they were just a pleasure; buddy had an 1895 45/70 made way back when and after seeing how that 400gr worked in the brush in NW WI and NE MN I got one too. Never cared for how the Winchesters worked and all the Marlins just had a nice feel to 'em.

BadTux said...

Ah, the great Marlin vs. Winchester .30-30 lever gun debate. It never gets old. I'm a Marlin guy myself, I don't like where the ejector port is on the Winchester. But they're both great rifles, classics.

Comrade Misfit said...

Ah, the great Marlin vs. Winchester .30-30 lever gun debate.

Right up there with the Great Mooney vs. Bonanza debate.