Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Caturday

It's warm enough in this place that I couldn't stand it without ceiling fans, but Jake still has to go seek out a sunbeam to warm up his old bones.


He got a scratch or acne or something on his jaw and he scratched at it to the point of getting it looking a little nasty. Twice-daily wiping down with isopropyl alcohol and twice-daily doses of clavimox cured that. He came to really dislike the medicine, 2ml squirted ino his mouth was not very dignified. I think he was almost wishing I'd go take another trip.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Animax ointment might help if you can sit and massage it in before he washes it off.

hans said...

rescued a kitten in far NW Wisconsin, late November, 20 degree days, 0 nights or worse... she was down so low she x stand, just crawl. She was trying to get a drink out of a puddle in the road and couldn't keep her head up - seemed about to drown. Took her home and let her warm up in a basket next to the Franklin stove & discovered she was being eaten alive my fleas. Warm wash w flea soap fixed that. Few more days of food & warmth & she was raring. But for the rest of her life she could never ever get warm enough. Slept under the Franklin where it was so hot it singed her - she was part angora. If outside temp was 100, you'd find her in the attic, where it was 115. If the oven was on baking something, she get on top of the stove back, purring like an outboard motor. Always worried she might get closed up in the oven...

w3ski said...

That picture makes him look like a fuzzy balloon.
w3ski

BadTux said...

A fuzzy balloon... bwhaha! Yeah, now that you mention it.

Hans, my black cat is a heat seeking missile similar to your kitty. He's always been like that. He'll get in the window where the sun is shining through, and I'll touch his black fur and it's warmer than body temperature. Some cats just like it hot. Go figure.

Medicating cats is always such fun. I had to give one of my cats some pills once and almost gave up from sheer frustration -- he was a master at spitting out pills no matter how hard I tried to get his mouth open wide enough to drop it in behind his tongue. And I could not resort to mixing it with soft cat food because he won't eat soft cat food -- only kibble. Sigh.

Comrade Misfit said...

Animax ointment

I'll keep that in mind.

Badtux, have you tried using a pill-popper?

hans said...

hoo ha, getting meds in pets is such a joy... I got a 1/2" diameter fluid syringe, a few inches of nasal-gastric tube with a rounded end, crushed the pills and mixed with light edible oil (sunflower works ok), put Lucy (my cat) headfirst down the sleeve of my hunting jacket until her head came out the cuff, secured the sleeve to an old ironing board with bunge cords, inserted the n/g tube beyond her tongue and squirted her meds down her throat... vet thought that was extreme so she tried it w/o restraining Lucy, who responded by biting the buttons off the vet's coat and bit completely through one of the vet's fingers, right through the finger nail... had to do that 2x a day for 10 days but it had to get done.

Comrade Misfit said...

hans, I'm surprised that worked for you. I had a cat (George) who would have then jumped on my bed and projective-vomited that mess onto the bed.

One time, George had a runny eye. The vet told me to put ointment in his eye three times a day for a week. I asked the vet if his crack habit was out of control.

hans said...

I tried it with water the 1st time and she ejected the dose almost instantly... if I ever get into a similar situation again I'll ask the vet for injectable meds; I had to do saline irrigation subcu on my 22 year old tom (kidneys going) a couple of times a week and he tolerated it well and stayed reasonably active - caught his last mouse about a month before the end at 23yrs 2 months. For most of the pets I've had subcu or IM works best being easier on them and on me.

Comrade Misfit said...

When George needed antibiotics, the vet gave him Convivia, which is a timed-release med by subcu injection. Wasn't cheap ($50), but it was worth every nickel.