Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Saturday, October 5, 2013

I Wuz Robbed, I Tells Ya!

Of $8 admission to the local gun show.

The prices that the vendors wanted were unreal. Which is probably why I saw a heck of a lot of people wandering around the hall and hardly anyone forking over any money.

One seller had a nice S&W Model 10-5 in his case, but he wanted $690 for it. I don't think that even Cabela's, which horrendously overprices its "gun library" would ask for that much.

CCI .22 ammo in hundred round boxes? One guy wanted $18 a box. The same 100-round box of Remington .38+P that the local Wal-Mart had on the shelf this week for $38 was $55 at the show.

A generic Mosin-Nagant, still dripping on cosmoline, that was $200. An equally generic SKS was marked at $675.

Maybe 30 or so years ago, gun shows were places where some decent deals could be had. The last few shows that I've been to, I've seen nothing that would be worth opening one's wallet. I hope those vendors have a lot of fun packing their shit back up.

7 comments:

pdxpharris said...

I've seen the same thing here in Portland and a few months ago in Las Vegas (with the exception that people were lined up to by double-the-normal-price ammo). But you know that you better buy every round you can get your hands on before the UN stormtroopers show up at our doors to confiscate our guns, ammo, kitchen knives and toothpicks so that we're defenseless against the Obama army of Chicago gangsters that'll be rampaging across the countryside any day now.

Comrade Misfit said...

Hmmm. Somebody's meds needs adjusting.....

Anonymous said...

Well.....clearly we have aquired a clear profile of the individuals investing in overpriced weapons and ammo at shows...LOL

ooo said...

I thought it was sarcasm....

Chris said...

The last show I went to I got a Ruger Mk I magazine for 20 bucks, and a 1918 SMLE (matching) with bayonet for $350.

Ammo prices are still highly volatile, but I did find some good deals.

Frank W. James said...

Yeah, I remember when gunshows were the place to find stuff that was CHEAPER than the retail outlet; any retail outlet.

Boy, those days are history. Even the old guns that I like to find are priced better on the internet sites than they are at ANY gunshow I've been to in the last 2 years.....with one exception, there is one dealer who always has the odd elusive duck I like, he knows me and he ALWAYS cuts me a decent deal, but then I've cut him some deals as well.

But other than that it's always a hard search.....I guess that's why I keep going...

All The Best,
Frank W. James

Comrade Misfit said...

Frank, there was one vendor who had some old Winchester `94s that looked interesting. The actions were zip-tied shut, he told me that the show rules said that he couldn't remove the times.

I sure as hell won't consider buying something without being able to at least look inside the action and the barrel.

if that's the rule of all shows nowadays, I'm done.