Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Monday, February 10, 2014

The Numerical Captcha

I've been playing around with the numerical captcha that Blogger is now using.

What I see is something like this:


As you can see, one half of the captcha has numbers generated by Google, the other half is a photo.

What I've been finding out is that if I enter the computer-generated numbers correctly, it almost doesn't matter what I put in for the other ones.

My suspicion has been that Google is using this to tune its optical character recognition system. And so I put in wrong numbers. Maybe its orneriness or a little bit of monkey-wrenching. Or it's a bit of fun to see how far off I can get before the system catches it.

8 comments:

Nangleator said...

The number ones are almost the only way I can post here. I've evolved past humanity, I guess. Can't prove I was ever a member.

Ole Phat Stu said...

"Google is using this to tune its optical character recognition "

Now that's a good insight.

Old NFO said...

LOL, I've been putting an 'a' in for every one and it goes through...

Bob S. said...

i've been deliberately messing with the photo style ones since the start.

putting 1s for 7s, 3s for 8 and vice versa. The longer we can slow their learning program the better in my opinion.

Tam said...

Those are addresses from Google Street View.

Just don't bitch when the pizza driver can't find your place in a couple years.

Tam said...

(...and they're not fine-tuning their OCR; they're crowd-sourcing it.)

Comrade Misfit said...

I don't order pizza. I can make pizza as good as they deliver. All it takes is cardboard, cheap tomato sauce and stale grated cheese.

(Yes, the pizza around here isn't very good.)

Joe said...

Those people who get all the way up to my barn when they're trying to go to church are your fault.

Actually, that's OK by me. They're the most entertaining things that happen around here on Sunday.