Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Yet Another Gun Post

At my last range outing, the woman in the next booth and I traded guns. She shot my 442 and I shot her Kimber .45. It was Commander-sized, flat mainspring housing and it had night sights.

I was prepared to hate it. I've not had much luck recently with self-littering guns. But at seven yards, it shot seven rounds into one large and ragged hole. Just enough to the right that if I had aimed at center-mass, the bad guy would be minus a heart.

Sweet gun. Not going to buy one. The reason I got the Airweight was to trade off a little bit of shooting comfort for a lot of carry comfort. The Airweight is a good half-pound lighter than either my Taurus 605 or my Colt Detective Special. Compared to those, in a belt holster (IWB or OWB), it's like I've got feathers in the holster.

The LGS had two Pythons in the display case. Over two grand for either of them. Not for me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The Smith is very much a known quantity, and I know the Colts are pretty sought after. How well does the Taurus work for you? In the past few years I've seen some evidence of good design ideas from that company, but three of the four Tauri I've had made me leery. It's been a fairly long time, though, and I can't help being curious about other people's experience with more current examples.

Comrade Misfit said...

I've had a Taurus 605 for a long while. 100% reliable. But it's a late `90s model, when their quality was good. By all reports, build quality took a real dive 8-10 years ago. I've heard varying reports on their newer guns.

Problem with Colts is that they're supposedly both harder to find a competent gunsmith to work on them and factory parts support is not very good. Colt has been out of the snubbie market for two decades or so.

Which leaves S&W, Ruger and Charter Arms, in about that preference order. All of which support their products.

BadTux said...

I love Kimber .45's as a functional work of art. As a self defense weapon... no. I think you know my preference for a wheel gun there. But there's something about a 1911 pattern .45 that fulfills a primal urge...